- We offer Covid-19 PCR nasal swab testing at the office with typical turnaround time of 48 hours.
- Should you require a 24 hour turnaround time, special arrangements can be made to expedite results ie. for international travel or pre-surgical testing.
- We can test For COVID-19 antibody/serology as well during any visit.
- You may schedule telemedicine appointments or in-office/ in-person routine visits.We offer business/corporate testing plans for Covid-19 for all businesses who desire testing for staff/employees. This testing can be arranged on site at the location of your choice. For example: offices, restaurants, salons and film/television sets. Please call us at 212-420-6460 for more information.
As we head into winter and colder weather, we must stay vigilant about wearing a mask, testing if needed before travel, and definitely testing after traveling outside of New York.
On October 31, 2020, Governor Cuomo replaced the travel advisory list and implemented a new system in which all travelers must test negative for Covid-19 three days before entering New York. Once in the state, travelers must quarantine for three days, then test negative again. New Yorkers who leave for less than 24 hours are required to be tested within four days of returning. However, this policy does not apply to travel between New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, or Pennsylvania.
As we look ahead to the prospect of slowly and safely opening up our city and state, knowing your exposure and immunity to the virus is crucial. With continued cautiousness and access to both COVID-19 testing and Antibody/Serology testing, we will continue to keep our COVID-19 infection rates low.
COVID-19 PCR testing is a nasal swab designed to detect the current presence of COVID-19. This test tells you if you currently have COVID-19 or not despite symptoms you may or may not be experiencing.
Antibody/Serology testing is a blood test designed to detect the presence of IgG antibodies which indicate exposure to COVID-19. This test does not tell you if you currently have COVID-19 or not. It simply determines if you have been exposed to the virus. If you have the presence of antibodies in your blood, it is still possible that you are also currently COVID-19 positive.
For those patients who have any current symptoms, whether mild or not, I recommend getting tested for the presence of COVID-19 on nasal swab in addition to having Antibody/Serology testIng.
I have seen many patients who initially test positive for COVID-19 and remain positive for many weeks after. It is important to understand that if you test positive and self-quarantine for 14 days, the virus does not automatically disappear, whether you have symptoms or not. It is highly likely that you will remain positive for several weeks. You cannot be certain you are negative until you repeat the COVID-19 nasal swab test and actually test negative.
My staff and I have been working tirelessly; testing and treating COVID-19 patients since March. As our weather changes and respiratory infections become more commonplace, I can't emphasize enough the importance of being aware of possible cold symptoms that are similar to COVID-19. It is critical to reach out to our office to discuss possible diagnostic tools and treatment options. Being proactive makes all the difference.
If you would like to be tested for COVID-19, COVID-19 antibodies, need a telemedicine/virtual visit, or just need a routine in person visit, please book an appointment online or call the office at 212-420-6460.
- Testing is done in a controlled manner to prevent potential exposure to others.
- You will not wait in the office reception area. Upon arrival, you will immediately be taken to an examination room.
- Diagnosing COVID-19 consists of a simple nasal swab.
- Antibody/Serology testing is a simple blood test that looks for prior exposure and possible immunity to COVID-19.
- Either testing option will have you in and out of the office in a matter of minutes.
- All patients with positive results will receive a call to discuss possible symptoms, treatments, and next steps.
- Results are typically received within 48 hours.
I regularly post on Instagram with COVID-19 updates on statistics and precautionary measures to minimize exposure and treat symptoms.
After being on the front line for months, I clearly see that the power of change is in our hands. This pandemic will eventually end, but we must do the right thing every day to prevent spreading this virus. I implore you to wear a mask when you go out, keep good social distance, boost your immune system with vitamins and antioxidants, and keep your social circles tight.
- If you test positive, self-quarantine for at least 14 days and retest to make sure that you are negative before returning to work to prevent spreading the virus to others.
Please feel free to reach out to us if we can be of any assistance during this difficult time.
Michele Martinho, MD
Dr. Michele Martinho is an experienced and personable internist who treats men, women, and gender non-binary patients throughout New York City. Dr. Martinho is passionate about medicine and views her role as working in partnership with patients to help them live healthy, long, and deeply satisfying lives. The office is conveniently located at 308A East 15th Street (at 2nd Ave) between the Gramercy Park, Union Square, and East Village neighborhoods of New York City.